- Where are you originally from?
- Jackman, Maine
- How long have you been in the area?
- I’ve lived in Pennsylvania since 2006
- How long have you been at the Hospital?
- Since 2006, with the exception of a year when I went back to Maine. I have been Practice Manager since the fall of 2011.
- Where did you/do you go to school?
- Wilson College
- Describe your role in the area pet community?
- I love attending local pet events.
- What would you say is the most important impact that our hospital has?
- All of our staff has a genuine passion for the well-being of animals.
- At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
- Ever since I can remember I wanted to work with animals. When I was little, one of my chickens cut his toe so I had to make him better. I brought him in the house, washed his foot off in the bathroom sink (my mom was thrilled), and kept his toe clean and bandaged until it was healed.
- List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones)
- I always had chickens, both for eggs and for meat. I didn’t name my chickens, but would tote my eggs around in a wagon and sell them in town.
- 2 white Chinese Geese (Goosey & Loosey)
- Horses: Queenie-Quarter Horse, Snuffy- Appaloosa, Pal- Palomino, Cisco- Quarter Horse
- Dogs: Duke- beagle, Snooky- beagle, Brewster- black lab, George-golden retriever, Raleigh- collie, Koty-chocolate lab
- Cats: Tilly, Missy, Squirt, Alfred
- Other: Nelly & Midnight-ferrets, George-guinea pig
- Current animals: Dexter (Old English Sheepdog), Bogey (Collie), and Ellie (cat)
- What kind of food do you feed your pets?
- Ellie eats Hill’s Prescription m/d because she’s diabetic
- Dexter & Bogey eat Eukanuba large bree
- What kind of music do you like?
- I grew up listening to country, so I’m always partial to that. I’m not super picky with music, though I’m not a huge fan of classical, really hard rock, or rap.
- What is your favorite TV show?
- I love Dexter, House Hunters/HGTV in general, NCIS, Flash Point.
- Where was your last vacation?
- Western Caribbean cruise-Spring of 2013. We left out of Florida and stopped in Cuzumel, Mexico, Grand Cayman, Roaton, Honduras, & Belize. We got to go snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, horseback riding through the Mayan ruins, play with sea turtles, go kayaking, and visit Hell.
- What is your favorite restaurant?
- I enjoy Texas Roadhouse, Red Lobster, and La Piazza of Linglestown
- Describe your perfect sandwich
- Toasted white bread, turkey, cheese, lettuce, pickles with chips crushed inside!
- If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be?
- My grandparents who both passed away before I was born.
- Other personal facts or hobbies that you think might be interesting:
- I enjoy fishing, kayaking, the ocean, rafts and board games, cooking/baking
Meet our own Megan Curfman! We interviewed Megan so that we all could learn more about her, what she does in our hospital and in the community!
– Where are you originally from?
– How long have you been in the area?
– How long have you been at the Hospital?
Over 5 years
– Where did you go to school?
Forbes Road Elementry and Junior/Senior High School then 2 years Shippensburg University then Wilson College where I got my Bachelors of Science in Veterinary Medical Technology
– Describe your role in the hospital?
I am the Head Technician for our three hospitals. I also am the equipment manager and in charge of ordering orthopedic surgery supplies. I work as a technician mostly. In the community I don’t really have a pet role. I pet sit for clients in need.
– What would you say is the most important impact that our hospital has?
I like all of the events that we participate in in the community and also that our vets our caring and take the time with their clients.
– What would you say was the one greatest pet related, community accomplishment that you have had?
Dr. Stoner does a lot with the Cumberland Valley Animal Shelter in doing surgeries for them, donating proceeds from events to them that the hospital participates in such as Woofstock and furry fun days and even our Christmas Open House proceeds and has also done orthopedic work for them. He will occasionally do pro bono work for special cases also. I have volunteered to help at all the events that the hospital does. Myself, I would say there isn’t much community pet accomplishment. I donate to the animal shelter yearly around the holidays and all year round at Pet Smart.
– At what point in your life did you realize that you had such a deep connection with pets?
From the beginning I always was an animal lover and really showed little to no fear of them. I knew I wanted to be a Vet Tech when I shadowed at a clinic in Roaring Springs for a semester before starting Wilson College.
– What kind of food do you feed your pets?
Iams large breed, Science Diet Prescription Diet i/d, Science Diet Light
– What is your favorite movie?
I like a lot of movies but ones I frequently rewatch are Mean Girls and Jennifers Body
– What kind of music do you like?
– What was the last book that you read?
The Twilight Series
– What is your favorite TV show?
Dexter, Vampire Diaries, and True Blood
– Where was your last vacation?
– What is your favorite restaurant?
Red Lobster, Chick Fila and Olive Garden
– If you could meet with anyone in the world, who would it be? Johny Depp
– Other personal facts or hobbies that you think might be interesting:
I used to be a Labrador Retriever Breeder for 12 years and take an interest in reproduction.
– List your pets and names throughout the years (including childhood ones):
Nikki- shelter dog, sheltie mix- my first dog
Midnight- first cat
(we had a a lot of outside cats as a kid and can’t remember all their names)
Zsa Zsa- shih tzu got in junior high school
Ty-my first lab- fell in love with the breed and started breeding- beginning of our line
Cassidy (cass) -cocker spaniel
Chauncy- cocker spaniel mix
Jade-lab, Ty’s daughter
Issa-lab, Ty’s daughter
Cole-Lab, our first male and stud dog
Reagan-Lab, Jade’s daughter
Joslyn-Lab, Jade’s daughter
Eden-Lab, Willow’s daughter
Enigma (Iggy), lab
Kiah-Greater Swiss Mtn. Dog-my first Swissy lives with me now
Kila-Greater Swiss Mtn. Dog
Cici-Pug-rescued from the clinic
Sherman-american shorthair/Himalayan mix
Bella- dsh cat, rescue cat