Preventative Care for Pets in Shippensburg, PA
Recommended Veterinary Care to Keep Your Pet Healthy & Happy
If your pet is in good health, it is important to keep him or her that way. At Shippensburg, Mount Rock, and Allen Road Animal Hospital, our experienced veterinarians have put together a preventative care plan that will help keep your pet healthy while increasing the length of their life and enabling our veterinarians to catch or prevent any illnesses. We know that veterinary bills can be expensive, which is why most pet owners are reluctant to take their pets to the vet if they seem healthy. Regularly scheduled veterinary examinations, however, will actually save you money in the long run because you’ll reduce the likelihood your pet will need expensive surgery, treatments, or medications.
Our Veterinarian Recommended Preventative Care Steps
The first step toward keeping your pet healthy and preventing unnecessary veterinary visits is to take them in for regular physical examinations. As part of the physical examination, one of our veterinarians will thoroughly inspect your pet from nose to tail and note any signs or symptoms of an illness or abnormalities. They will also check your pet’s temperature, heart rate, pulse, heart rhythm, weight, and overall body condition.
To ensure your pet receives optimal veterinary care, we recommend the following examination schedule:
- Adult dogs and cats: once yearly
- Senior dogs and cats: twice yearly
- Puppies and kittens: when they reach six weeks of age and every four weeks after until they are over 16 weeks old
- Pocket pets: annual visits until they’re three to four years old and twice yearly afterwards
In addition to physical examinations, it’s important that you have your pet’s teeth regularly cleaned and their gums inspected. This helps prevent your pet from developing periodontal disease, which can lead to other health problems affecting the heart, liver, and/or kidneys.
Our veterinarians also recommend:
- You follow the suggested vaccination schedule determined by your veterinarian
- You administer the suggested and prescribed medications as instructed by your veterinarian
- You use a monthly flea and tick preventative product from March to December
- You use a monthly heartworm preventative product
- You brush your pet’s fur and teeth on a daily basis
- You take your pets on walks and ensure that you give them enough exercise
- You get your pet regularly groomed
Three Convenient Locations
In order to take the best care of our community, Shippensburg Animal Hospital is proud to have three locations to serve you. We can be found in at our Shippensburg, Mount Rock, or Allen Road location. Click here to learn more.
A Long History In This Community
Founded in 1949, Shippensburg Animal Hospital has been serving our community's needs both big and small for nearly seven decades. When you have an animal in need come to a place with unmatched compassion and experience.
Providing Care to Animals of All Sizes
At Shippensburg Animal Hospital we have the unique ability to care for all of your fur babies, no matter their size. From the biggest horse to the smallest hamster and everything in between, we're ready to care for them.
“Dr. Hoover was very professional and comforting, and provided me with a wealth of information in case this occurs again in the fut ...”- Emily Dice
“We appreciate all your staff has done for all our pets.”- Jeanette Bitner & Jim Beichler
“I value the concern shown for my pet and people who know our pets are like family.”- Denylu Knox