Cats Need Care Too!
We know that it can be tough to get our feline friends in for a Wellness Exam. But even young indoor cats need to come in and get their nose-to-tail examinations at least once a year. Just like dogs, cats age faster than people — on average about seven years for each of our years.
Annual examinations can pick up any changes, such as a heart murmur, or kidney changes before they become serious. If caught early enough, medication can be added, or diet changed to prolong the life of your furry companion. Most importantly, cats are adept at hiding illness and injury. So when you see them acting differently, it’s very important to bring them to one of our veterinarians for an exam. At Shippensburg, Mount Rock, and Allen Road Animal Hospital we take special care to make sure your cat will have the best visit possible.
Here are some tips for how the make the trip easier for you and your cat:
- Choose a cat carrier with a top that easily opens or lifts off.
- Keep the carrier out in the open in a safe place so your cat can adjust to going in and out. Throw treats inside from time to time to give your cat a treat for going in.
- Feed your cat inside the carrier.
- When your cat looks comfortable, start taking him or her on a tour of the house. When that feels good, start with short trips in the car.
- Make the trip as rewarding as possible. Offer treats and calming language. Keep the loud music and sharp turns to a minimum, especially during the first few trips.
- When you make your trip to our hospital bring along a favorite toy and/or a blanket with familiar smells.
- Most important: keep your cool! Cats can sense our emotions, if you’re calm, it will help them feel better, too.
Three Convenient Locations
In order to take the best care of our community, Shippensburg Animal Hospital is proud to have three locations to serve you. We can be found in at our Shippensburg, Mount Rock, or Allen Road location. Click here to learn more.
A Long History In This Community
Founded in 1949, Shippensburg Animal Hospital has been serving our community's needs both big and small for nearly seven decades. When you have an animal in need come to a place with unmatched compassion and experience.
Providing Care to Animals of All Sizes
At Shippensburg Animal Hospital we have the unique ability to care for all of your fur babies, no matter their size. From the biggest horse to the smallest hamster and everything in between, we're ready to care for them.
“Dr. Hoover was very professional and comforting, and provided me with a wealth of information in case this occurs again in the fut ...”- Emily Dice
“We appreciate all your staff has done for all our pets.”- Jeanette Bitner & Jim Beichler
“I value the concern shown for my pet and people who know our pets are like family.”- Denylu Knox